Wednesday, September 16, 2009

How much is that doggie in the window???

I don't know how or why, but some how it follows me. Finds me. Like it or not.
DRAMA!
And, I hate it!

So, Andy-the-Great and I...well, mostly just me...decided to stud out our Border Collie. He is a GREAT dog, with a great pedigree, and thought it would be fun to breed him and see his puppies. We let him "at it" in May. He was the proud Papa to 11 adorable pups on June 21st.
Yup!
Father's Day.

I tried to contact the females owner several times to see the pups, with no luck. I was disappointed and chalked up the stud fee to a loss.

Fast forward 8 weeks...
I get a call that the owner of the female wanted to bring the remaining pups over for us to see. Wanted to do it during Daycare hours, in hopes of selling the last 4.
When she arrived, she unloaded the dogs, told me that she had "gotten rid of" the Mother. Also that she needed someone to watch the puppies for a week while she looked for a place to live.
Told me that she couldn't care for them at the moment...she was living in a camper with her 2 kids.

I agreed to one week.
Mind you, she had sold 7 of these babies for $600 each!

They had not had shots or been wormed, and were LOADED with fleas!
So, I contacted her about vaccinations and flea medication. I was told NOT to deal with theses issues, and to let the new owners take care of it.
One of the puppies( "Elanor the fair") developed diarrhea, vomiting, and blood in her poop.
I took her to the vet. A bacteria was found in her intestines that needed antibiotic. She also had tape worms. So I purchased worm er for the lot of them.

Then one sold. I sold him for $300. To pay for vaccinations that were due.
When I contacted the breeder, she said that she couldn't afford to loose anymore money on these pups. She needed, after all, to pay for her security deposit on a new place. At the moment she was on a 2 week vacation with her live in boyfriend.

Last week, a female ("Ruby") jumped headlong off our 2nd story deck, to get to me as I was feeding the chickens. Broke out out of her pen, and jumped.
Broke her left foreleg and tore a bunch of ligaments in both front legs.
Again, I contacted the breeder. She advised me to do nothing. A vet visit would be to costly. Perhaps they would heal on their own.
Sooo...I took her to the vet, anyway. Had X-rays and treatment. We worked out a plan for future treatments.
The breeder contacted me from her vacation (the 2nd one) in Missouri. I told her that I had her treated, and got the scolding of a life time. She said "They are my pups, and I will decide if they should be put down or treated". I was negligent in allowing her to fall, and someone with better capabilities would be coming to get the pups.

I proceeded to "tactfully" tell her to F*#K off. She disappeared for 4 weeks, and gave no food or medication. Those now become my dogs! I couldn't sell them for what I have in them.

My brother and sister-in-law took one male. For free. I couldn't handle them all.

So, Andy and I are proud OWNERS of two female border collie puppies. One with stomach issues and one with 2 wounded legs!
We couldn't be happier..well, when I say "WE"...I really mean "me".


p.s. Thanks honey bun for putting up with me!
: )

6 comments:

Melissa said...

People are great aren't they?

I think Andy would put up with you if you wanted a petting zoo in the house.

cloudmaster said...

I have been thinking that (S) should maybe have a dog but I don't know a lot about different breeds. Is a Border Collie a good breed for a little one?

Mama Drama Times Two said...

Congratulations on being new puppy parents!!!

Marie said...

Awesome. You have a good heart. I'm surprised you put up with her manipulations for even that long. She's clearly not in a stable place to care for dogs. Cut your losses there and enjoy your new pets!

obladi oblada said...

OMG..I despise people "breeders" like this. Backyard breeders who are completely irresponsible. Yeah, its the right thing to do to let a puppy with a broken leg suffer and not get treatment. People like this should not be allowed to own dogs, let alone breed them. This angers me. Thank goodness they are with someone who cares now.

Marie said...

Happy, happy birthday! I hope you're having a wonderful one!!!

Marie